Friday, July 23, 2010

I got a schedule and I'm stickin' to it.

I'm feeling pretty shallow and selfish right now. We were coming home this evening from a very fun time with Sashi and Susma's family making momo (pictures forthcoming), and I'm planning on getting on facebook and then organizing my room. I see a friend coming our direction and hope she's not planning on visiting. I have things to do!

I rush inside and hear "knock, knock". I leave Brandie to open the door; I don't want to bother.

She comes in and comes straight to me and starts talking... Nepali, a bit fast, so I don't catch on. I have things to do! She better not stay long.

Still with computer on lap, hoping she gets the message that I'm occupied, I do politely listen and try to understand what she's saying. My heart melts as she pours out difficulties and how hard life is for her and her family now. My little to-do list suddenly seems piddly and insignificant.

Her advice to me: "Don't get married and have kids." Fighting and dirty messes - it's just not worth it.

It's specifically hard for their family for two main reasons:

1. They have smaller kids who are no help but rather a burden to be taken care of. She has to stay home with them all day and only her husband can work.

2. They know very little English; the chicken factory is the best he can hope for. And it's hard and draining.

They have little money. And life is simply hard. The kids are rowdy. And it doesn't have much promise of getting much better in the near future. English comes slowly and kids grow up slowly.

My heart goes out to her. And not just her but the many like her in this area. May God grant me His heart to minister. And may our Savior be their comfort, strength, and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment