Sunday, July 4, 2010

WalMart, the alphabet, and broccoli

One of my biggest pet peeves (I do have several) is reading recipe blogs or recipe books without pictures. If you don't have a picture, I pretty much won't even glance at it.

So, what am I doing today? Sharing a "recipe" without a picture! Aargh! What's happening to me?? Really, this is so that I remember the instructions to make later. Then I'll take a picture. :)

Yesterday was filled with fun! In the morning I hopped home and we went to the park (yay!) and went to Kroger to prepare for today (Happy 4th of July, btw!) The afternoon and evening were filled with a run to WalMart and the Nepali market with friends. That took quite a while - for some of them it was their first time in WalMart. Definitely an "important" part of experiencing the US in my opinion. They liked the price of milk and got 8 gallons of whole milk. Wow! It is cheaper compared to other stores they usually shop at. But 8 gallons?

Anyway, the recipe - I'm getting to that. We got back and Nachu made Khir (rice pudding), broccoli, and radish pickle in the kitchen while Git and I studied the Nepali alphabet. The food was a-maz-ing. So delicious! The alphabet was extremely intimidating. I don't get it. Any ideas for studying an alphabet completely and totally foreign? The spoken part is a challenge but fun. The written part just seems impossible.

Broccoli Nepali style:

Since this is Nepali style, don't expect exact measurements. :)

Broccoli (a large head I guess)
some oil (2-3 T?)
about a 4th of a red onion, sliced small
part of a little red or green chili pepper (more if you want spicy), diced
some ground cumin and ground mustard seed (don't know how much, so however much you would like!)
salt

Heat a sauce pan with the oil to high. Put in sliced onions and fry for a bit. Add chili pepper. Add broccoli and constantly stir to coat with oil and onions. Add ground spices. Cook to taste; not too much. Until no longer crispy, but still not really limp. Add a dash of salt to taste (maybe as much as a tsp?).

I'll try that soon hopefully and see if I remembered everything.

So, I have a new Indian outfit that is all red, white and blue. I'll try to get a picture. It seems wrong not to wear it today!

First, I'm off to walk/run. Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. 8 gallons of milk?? How did they ever fit them in their fridge???
    'Twas fun having you home for a bit. :-) So, how much are you running lately? I meant to ask you yesterday when you ran on ahead a couple of times in the woods. Leg OK? Energy level OK? :-)

    ReplyDelete