Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Randomness, as usual.


Well, my right jaw/eye/neck have been bugging me particularly unhappily the past few days. And since the computer typically only aggravates that, blogging hasn't been a priority. Moaning and groaning trying to find a comfortable position lying on my bed has. ;) Naw, it's not that horrible, but my poor roommates have had to put up with me complaining about it probably more than is necessary. Amy sweetly offered to message my neck last night before going to bed... oh that had to have been the best message I've ever had. I don't think I could have gone to sleep, at least for a while, without her doing that. And I did break down and take Ibuprofen last night. WOW. That's pretty big for me. I really don't like to have to take Ibuprofen.

I've considered the home remedy suggested to me by my congolese friends. But really can't bring myself to do it. Just in case you ever want to try it if your neck is bothering you... they told me to coat my neck in urine. Yep. Pee. Not exactly the scent I was wanting to smell like. Anyone ever heard that one before? Is there possibly any credibility to that? I also broke down and made an appointment with the chiropractor. I should ask her tomorrow. Or maybe not for the first visit. hehe

This is the last week of the internship! I can't believe it!

Last night Leigh Anne and I had dinner with Longa and Rose and their family. See previous post for spaghetti adventures with Rose. This time we made marinated chicken and mashed potatoes. Their daughter's word for the night was "Wow." She came over to watch every now and then and was quite interested in the process. Baking chicken in the oven was a new thing, and the hand beaters for the mashed potatoes was apparently pretty awesome. Both Longa and Rose had fun working the beaters and seeing the potato mixture cream together.

Another highlight of yesterday was getting to have lunch with mommy at Chick-fil-A! (I love the spicy chicken sandwich!) She's down here watching two babies during the day for an MTW/World Relief thing.

What the oldest coupon you've ever used? Can you guess how old the one was that I used at Chick-fil-A yesterday?

AND... let's see if anyone can guess why I was told by a random person yesterday "You must really like carrots." Took me by surprise. How did she know?

On the schedule for today:
-teaching a group of refugees (and Hannah) how to ride MARTA. I include my name in the "being taught" because I'm going to be learning as well!
-lunch with a mixed group of wonderful people here and from MTW. Including a new roommate who will move in next week when Leigh Anne Brandie move out.
-shopping for dinner and then teaching Kamala and Hem how to make Fajitas!

So, I wish I had pictures of these fun happenings, but I don't. So I'll leave you with fun from Sunday... MOMO! Which we're going to have Friday too! Ah, I love momo because momo doesn't just mean good food (which it IS), but it also means community and taking time to visit... because momo does take time. And it's something everyone can take part in doing.

Nachu also was kind to show me again how to prepare broccoli the way she prepared it before. I'm hoping to make it next week when I'm in CT! I'm going to attempt a Nepali-style meal for Susan and Adrian.

Nachu peels almost all of the skin off the broccoli. It makes it really tender.

Dil, their very sweet recently-arrived niece! Making the momo.

Spices for the broccoli.

MOMO! With the de-li-shus tomato pickle.


5 comments:

  1. Sorry 'bout your neck :-/. No fun. Um, DON'T try that remedy :-P. Ugh. Adrian can no longer laugh at some of my "home remedies" I dig up ;-).

    They knew you liked carrots because your skin is starting to tinge orange.

    Hehe. I bet that Chick-fil-a coupon was from a field day from like a zillion years ago :-). Or a history day or science fair. 15 years old?

    And YES, Nepali experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Sorry about your neck. That does not sound fun. I say go witht the pee:)

    2-4-04 is my guess for the Chick-fil-a coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you hit it right on the nose, Susan. But then you've experienced the orange tint, so you have an advantage. :)

    And close on the coupon. 1997; 13 years old.

    So, Sarah says "go with the pee." You know, it'd be an experience... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! 13 years! I was pretty close. And I'm sure it was from a GCHE function, like I guessed.

    She actually said "go witht the pee", which I took to be a typo that was supposed to be "without", but I could be wrong. I was trying to leave open the possibility of her being sane, just because I'm nice that way :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, well... I'M being nice and giving her the benefit of the doubt. That she's adventurous and open to new ideas and new experiences.

    Ha!

    ReplyDelete