Sunday, February 20, 2011

Let's try this again, shall we?

Hi there! It's me again. :)

It's overwhelming thinking of blogging again. As I contemplate what I could post about, a million ideas rush at me at once. But for the sake of NOT overwhelming any potential readers out there (Hello! *waves* Anyone out there? *peers out*), as well as myself, my goal is to start out slowly.

What has lured me back? I was recently talking to someone who's been helping me as I'm starting the process of preparing for joining Wycliffe (more about that later!), and she encouraged me to really pray through how I should be preparing myself now for departure and ministry, even though I'll likely not leave for more than 2 or 3 years at least.

Wise. So I've been thinking about that off and on, what that means, what I need to work on and through and try to accomplish.

I am not a really good long-distance communicator. I don't like it. I want my loved ones close to me, like in Clarkston. Visiting, spending time in person, doing activities or just hanging - that's the language I naturally use to show love. Phone, skype?... :/ eh, no thanks.

But if I do go overseas one day, finding myself cut off from family and friends, I feel I cannot ignore this problem and eventually find myself in bad straights because I've gone lax. That would be a huge opening for Satan to attack with discouragement, self-pity, and loneliness.
So, that's what got me thinking about blogging again, a potentially good tool for me to use in long-distance communication. Why not start practicing now? Plus I'll really enjoy sharing about what's happening here and now... as long as I get into the habit of doing this!

My goal is to be informative, encouraging, and interesting. Please give any advice on how to succeed in such a goal ! It doesn't really come naturally!

What makes you enjoy reading blogs? Feedback would be helpful!

I thought I'd end with a quote from a dear friend here:
"Back in the camps, I didn't really feel like a refugee. But now that we're here in America, I do."

And then another quote from a fellow partner in ministry:
"I've been asking Jesus to show me how HE would show hospitality to ME. I think He would always lend a listening ear, always welcome me in His home if I came to His door, always love me and care about my problems."

We've been called to be the hands and feet of Jesus. That's a huge honor and daunting task at the same time. May God give us grace to grow more like Jesus... because I sure DON'T feel like Him AT ALL most of the time! And may arriving refugees find in us a welcoming attitude so they don't feel like outsiders who are invading "our" country. Truly aren't we all refugees here, awaiting passage to our Eternal Home?



4 comments:

  1. If you want feedback and want it from more than the 2 or 3 people who haven't given your blog up for dead, post a link on Facebook to your blog post each time you blog, so that people know :-).

    And I enjoy reading blogs that are informative or interesting or about my sister's life ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okey-dokey, prolly should, prolly should!

    So, it sounds like blogs can be
    a) informative
    b) interesting
    OR
    c) about your sister's life

    I, uh, hm... well... *defeated*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know about Wycliffe? Summer will too, as you pray through this. I love what you are doing in Clarkston too. When you post acts of hospitality it warms my heart. I don't care if you share here or FB, just keep the posts coming. It gives me specifics for prayer. Every time you post I pray :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Webb, thank you so much for continuing to be interested in and pray for/about God's working in my life! What a blessing your family has been to me. I'll have to post soon more about Wycliffe details. I think of Summer all the time as I'm starting out on this journey!

    ReplyDelete